Receive the most comprehensive Australian visa support using our experienced Australian OMARA Registered Migration Agents to represent you through the Australian visa application process. National Visas is a private immigration company and is not affiliated with the Australian government.

Skilled Visa – Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Expression of Interest (EoI)?

There are a few different Expressions of Interest with Australian visas. The most common one is that which is used for Skilled Migration visas.

For Skilled Migration an Expression of Interest is the entry point into the formal process of applying for a skilled visa. The skilled visa system is set up so the process works like this:

  • Prepare everything for your application, then
  • Lodge an Expression of Interest, then
  • Apply for the visa once you have been invited (if you appear to meet requirements).

There are also other types of Expressions of Interest for 'Employer Sponsored' and 'Business Skills' visas.

An example is that you can lodge an Expression of Interest in the Employer Sponsored space which is not a visa application; rather it puts your details into the government's online database which allows Australian employers who may be looking for skilled overseas workers to find and contact you. If the employer then agrees to sponsor you, you may be able to then lodge a visa application.

What is state sponsorship?

State sponsorship or state nomination is sometimes required for Skilled Migration visas. It is sometimes also required for Investor Retirement and Business Owner and Investor visas.

When we talk about 'states' in Australia, we are referring to the government of a particular area or region in Australia. There are 8 'states' and 'territories' in Australia, each with their own government which may be able to sponsor an applicant for skilled migration.

Each state has its own list of occupations which are currently in demand. The state governments sponsor overseas skilled applicants to attract them to live in their state.

There are two main benefits to state sponsorship. First, some occupations require state sponsorship or you cannot apply for skilled migration. Second, state sponsorship gives you extra points for your skilled visa. This helps many applicants meet the threshold points requirement and therefore helps them become eligible for skilled migration.

Why have I been allocated points for state sponsorship in my online assessment?

We have a database which is updated every month for every occupation and state. When you take a skilled assessment on our website the assessment calculates whether you may need state sponsorship and whether there are currently state sponsoring in your occupation.

If you have taken an assessment and been allocated points for state sponsorship, your occupation has at least one state willing to sponsor and it is likely that you will need state sponsorship.

Assisting you to obtain state sponsorship is part of the service we provide. We assist by:

  • locating states which are sponsoring in your occupation
  • explaining which states you are more likely to meet requirements for and why
  • determining if you meet the state's eligibility criteria
  • explain to you exactly how you can meet requirements
  • prepare your application (as much as we can)
  • some states have requirements such as personal statements from you which you must write - but we proof read and provide feedback for improvement pre-lodgement
  • lodge your application and liaise with the state government authorities on your behalf

If I am sponsored by the state, what are my obligations?

If you are sponsored by a state government the expectation is that you reside in your sponsoring state for the first two years after you arrive in Australia, or after your visa is approved if you are already in Australia. You also need to complete periodical surveys during this two year period.

I have passed an online assessment; does this mean I can apply for the visa?

Our online assessments are a good first level indicator as to whether or not you may be able to lodge a successful Australian visa application.

Some visas to Australia are quick and simple, such as ETA visitor visas. If you have passed an online assessment for an ETA visitor visa it is very likely that you will be eligible for this visa. Other visas (such as skilled migration) are very complex and take months of preparation before you can actually apply for the visa.

Our online assessments are based on up-to-date government visa regulations. Whilst our assessments are accurate, a detailed assessment of your situation can only be made once you purchase a service.

If you purchase the Premier Service and we find you are not able to lodge a valid application, you will be entitled to a partial refund. The refund amount is determined by the amount of work that has been completed by National Visas. Refer to our terms and conditions for more information.

How do I classify my occupation for Australian working visas?

This is a very good question, and a surprisingly complex one. One of the main problems visa applicants face is in understanding how the Australian government classifies different occupations and how each occupation has different 'skill' requirements. Sometimes the process is even more complex when there are mandatory skills assessments or mandatory English language requirements.

Classifying your occupation correctly can make all the difference to the outcome of your application. Knowing which visa to apply for can also be critically important because the requirements are different depending on the visa type.

For example, if you are a Carpenter from the UK, you will not need a formal skills assessment for an employer sponsored 457 visa. It may then be possible to apply for a permanent employer sponsored visa after 2 years without ever having to obtain a formal skills assessment. However, if the same UK Carpenter applies directly for skilled migration or a permanent employer sponsored visa, then you will need a formal skills assessment.

To extend this example, you may find that the same UK Carpenter may need state government sponsorship to meet the requirements for skilled migration but that the occupation 'Carpenter' is not being sponsored by any states. However, it may be possible to obtain a skills assessment for the closely related occupation 'Carpenter and Joiner' which is being sponsored by several states which would then allow you to apply for skilled migration.

See how this could get complicated?

This is just one example to show you how the choice of visa and occupation really matters. If you don't know how all of the options and variables affect you, the solution is simple - let us advise you!

You can read more on this topic here.

What is a skills assessment?

A skills assessment is a document issued by the relevant skills assessing authority in Australia in which the applicant's education and/or work experience (skills) are assessed against Australian standards for each particular occupation. The result of a skills assessment is usually identified as positive (suitable for the nominated occupation) or negative (not suitable for the nominated occupation).

Do not make the mistake of thinking that you have a degree or particular qualification and that is your "skills assessment" – it is not! Skills assessments for migration are a separate requirement, which is applied for and assessed by an independent body in Australia.

You can read more about skills assessments here.

Do I have to take an English Test for my a Visa?

This is a very common question, but the answer is not as simple as you may think!

English language requirements are different depending on which visa you are applying for, what your occupation is and whether you are the 'primary' or 'secondary' applicant. Additionally, the passport you hold and whether or not you completed your schooling in English may be a factor. In some cases, the wage you will earn in Australia can also be a factor.

Before we can provide you with an answer to this question we must first understand a lot about your situation and options. If you use our services we will do a detailed analysis of your position against relevant visa regulations and explain to you exactly how you can meet the various English language requirements, including whether you will need to take an English test.

If you are required to take an English test we will provide you information to help you prepare so you have the best chance of achieving the score you need.

I have reviewed the Department of Home Affairs website and think I can apply. Does this mean I am eligible?

Be very careful about relying on the government's publicly available information. The Department of Home Affairs website provides very basic general information about visas. Australian visa regulations are extremely complex and detailed. While the government website does provide some good general information, it is not possible to cover all scenarios and they provide no information about relevant case law which may affect you.

For example, employer sponsored visa information on the government's website states very basically that you need to show that you 'have the skills and experience necessary to work in your nominated occupation'. What this actually means in terms of the documents required for your specific occupation is not specified in detail because there are hundreds of different occupations, but the requirements are actually very strict for every single occupation.

Another example is that the government website may say that you must have a skills assessment or state sponsorship, but their information is very vague. Obtaining state sponsorship and skills assessments can be extremely complex with critical timing and evidentiary issues.

The government has no particular interest in advising you of the critical details which make or break your case. They don't care one way or the other if your application is successful. We do. We know the details that are not published on the government website and how they affect your case because we have access to all of the legislation and policy.

Aside from the points mentioned above, it is also important to understand that believe it or not, the government is actually not always right. You can read more about this important topic here.

Can I include my wife and children in my application?

Normally yes you can. But different visas to Australia have different requirements and one answer does not apply to all situations. For example, if you are applying for a working holiday visa you cannot bring your child with you to Australia at any time while you hold that visa. But if you are applying for a permanent skilled migration visa you can include your wife and children.

Another example is applying for an employer sponsored work visa (457). If your employer agrees to include them in your application they can apply too, but if your employer only agrees to sponsor you, your wife and children cannot be included in your application.

The requirements and restrictions on Australian visas differ depending on the visa for which you are applying. So do the costs. You should discuss your individual situation with one of our experienced professionals.

Can I include my parent in my application?

To include your parent in a visa application you must be able to prove that they are dependent on you. Issues of 'dependence' with adult applicants are very complex in Australian migration law. Because of this we advise that you discuss this with one of our experienced advisors before proceeding any further with your application.

Can I include my child who is over 18 in my application?

To include your adult child in a visa application you must be able to prove that they are dependent on you. Issues of 'dependence' with adult applicants are very complex in Australian migration law. Because of this we advise that you discuss this with one of our experienced advisors before proceeding any further with your application.

Can I go to my local doctor to complete my medicals test for my Australian visa?

Not all visas to Australia require the applicant to complete a medical test.

However, almost all applicants who are required to complete a medical examination for an Australian visa must complete it only at an Australian government approved panel physician. There are a few very limited exceptions to this. In most cases you cannot go to your local doctor.

It is going to be difficult for me to obtain my police clearances. Can I avoid getting them?

The Australian government is very cautious about granting visas to people with a significant criminal history so must be assured that people meet the 'character requirement'.

Not all visas to Australia require a police clearance, but where police clearances are required you must obtain them or your visa could be refused. There are some extremely limited cases where the requirement to obtain a particular police clearance can be waived, but these circumstances are very rare.