Australian Parent Visas − Frequently Asked Questions

Can I include my wife and children in my application?

Normally yes you can, but you should be aware that the application fee is per person, not per couple.

The requirements and restrictions on Australian visas differ depending on the visa for which you are applying. So do the costs. You should discuss your individual situation with one of our experienced professionals.

Can I include my child who is over 18 in my application?

To include your adult child in a visa application you must be able to prove that they are dependent on you. Issues of 'dependence' with adult applicants are very complex in Australian migration law. Because of this we advise that you discuss this with one of our experienced advisors before proceeding any further with your application.

Can I go to my local doctor to complete my medicals test for my Australian visa?

Not all visas to Australia require the applicant to complete a medical test.

However, almost all applicants who are required to complete a medical examination for an Australian visa must complete it only at an Australian government approved panel physician. There are a few very limited exceptions to this. In most cases you cannot go to your local doctor.

It is going to be difficult for me to obtain my police clearances. Can I avoid getting them?

The Australian government is very cautious about granting visas to people with a significant criminal history so must be assured that people meet the 'character requirement'.

Not all visas to Australia require a police clearance, but where police clearances are required you must obtain them or your visa could be refused. There are some extremely limited cases where the requirement to obtain a particular police clearance can be waived, but these circumstances are very rare.

What does de facto mean?

The term 'de facto' when used in relation to Australian visa applications is used to describe a couple who live together as partners but are not married. De facto spouses, or de facto husband and wife are examples of couples who live together and share a life together as a partner couple, but are not married.

For visa purposes, a de facto partner (including partners of the same sex) can be considered a member of your family unit in a very similar way to a married couple. This means that you may be able to include your de facto partner in your visa application.

You would normally need to evidence at least 12 months living together as a de facto couple to meet Visa requirements. However, each via has its own requirements so please make sure you discuss your situation with one of our migration professionals to understand how the regulations apply to you.