Employer Sponsored Visas − Frequently Asked Questions

Can I change employers while holding a 457 or 482 employer sponsored visa?

The 457 and 482 visas have condition '8107' and '8607' attached to them, respectively. In very brief terms this means that while holding your employer-sponsored you can only work for your sponsor in the occupation for which you were nominated. Breaching visa conditions can result in visa cancellation and a three year exclusion period (ban) from Australia.

You can change employers but not until you have a new nomination approved with the new employer. Do not change employers until this time. If you are considering changing employers please contact us to discuss your situation, or ask your new employer to contact us and we can talk with them directly to help them understand what is involved.

If your new employer would like an initial free discussion with us about 457 visa sponsorship, they can register on our website here. Registration is free, and takes approximately 3 minutes. Once the employer registers one of our registered migration agents will then call them to discuss the situation.

My employer may be willing to sponsor me for a work visa to Australia. Where do I start?

The place for you to start is to take an online assessment. If you pass the assessment you will be given service options to proceed.

If you would like National Visas to discuss the employer sponsored visa program (including costs, processing times and payment options) with your employer before proceeding, please ask your employer to register on our website here.

Registration is free, and takes approximately 3 minutes. Once your employer registers they can book a free 15 minute phone or skype consultation so one of our registered migration agents can discuss your situation with them.

How do I classify my occupation for Australian working visas?

This is a very good question, and a surprisingly complex one. One of the main problems visa applicants face is in understanding how the Australian government classifies different occupations and how each occupation has different 'skill' requirements. Sometimes the process is even more complex when there are mandatory skills assessments or mandatory English language requirements for certain occupations.

Classifying your occupation correctly can make all the difference to the outcome of your application. Knowing which visa to apply for can also be critically important because the requirements are different depending on the visa type.

For example, if you are a Carpenter from the UK, you will not need a formal skills assessment for an employer sponsored visa. It may then be possible to apply for a permanent employer sponsored visa after 3 years on the temporary visa without ever having to obtain a formal skills assessment. However, if the same UK Carpenter applies directly for skilled migration or a non-regional permanent employer sponsored visa, then you will need a formal skills assessment.

To extend this example, you may find that the same UK Carpenter may need state government sponsorship to meet the requirements for skilled migration but that the occupation 'Carpenter' is not being sponsored by any states. However, it may be possible to obtain a skills assessment for the closely related occupation 'Carpenter and Joiner' which is being sponsored by several states which would then allow you to apply for skilled migration.

See how this could get complicated?

This is just one example to show you how the choice of visa and occupation really matters. If you don't know how all of the options and variables affect you, the solution is simple - let us advise you!

You can read more on this topic here.

Do I have to take an English Test for my Visa?

This is a very common question, but the answer is not as simple as you may think!

English language requirements are different depending on which visa you are applying for, what your occupation is and whether you are the 'primary' or 'secondary' applicant. Additionally, the passport you hold and whether or not you completed your schooling in English may be a factor. In some cases, the wage you will earn in Australia can also be a factor.

Before we can provide you with an answer to this question we must first understand a lot about your situation and options. If you use our services we will do a detailed analysis of your position against relevant visa regulations and explain to you exactly how you can meet the various English language requirements, including whether you will need to take an English test.

If you are required to take an English test we will provide you information to help you prepare so you have the best chance of achieving the score you need.

What is a skills assessment?

A skills assessment is a document issued by the relevant skills assessing authority in Australia in which the applicant's education and/or work experience (skills) are assessed against Australian standards for each particular occupation. The result of a skills assessment is usually identified as positive (suitable for the nominated occupation) or negative (not suitable for the nominated occupation).

Do not make the mistake of thinking that if you have a degree or particular qualification, then that this is your "skills assessment" – it is not! Skills assessments for migration are a separate requirement, and are applied for and assessed by an independent body in Australia.

You can read more about skills assessments here.

I am over 45 years old; can I get an Australian permanent visa?

Your 45th birthday has an extremely significant impact on your Australian visa options. Once you turn 45 many of your permanent visa options finish. There are some limited circumstances where permanent residence may be an option (for example if you are a very high income earner), but your permanent skill based visa options are reduced once you turn 45.

However, before giving up, you should discuss your situation with one of our migration professionals because there may still be options for you. Our advisors can discuss with you whether or not you may meet any of the exemptions, or whether you have alternative options and pathways which you may not have considered.

I have passed an online assessment; does this mean I can apply for the visa?

Our online assessments are a good first level indicator as to whether or not you may be able to lodge a successful Australian visa application.

Some visas to Australia are quick and simple, such as ETA visitor visas. If you have passed an online assessment for an ETA visitor visa it is very likely that you will be eligible for this visa. Other visas (such as skilled migration) are very complex and take months of preparation before you can actually apply for the visa.

Our online assessments are based on up-to-date government visa regulations. Whilst our assessments are accurate, a detailed assessment of your situation can only be made once you purchase a service.

If you purchase the Premier Service and we find you are not able to lodge a valid application, you will be entitled to a partial refund. The refund amount is determined by the amount of work that has been completed by National Visas. Refer to our terms and conditions for more information.

Can I include my spouse and children in my application?

Normally yes you can. But different visas to Australia have different requirements and one answer does not apply to all situations. For example, if you are applying for a working holiday visa you cannot bring your child with you to Australia at any time while you hold that visa. But if you are applying for a permanent skilled migration visa you can include your spouse and children.

Another example is applying for an employer sponsored work visa (482). If your employer agrees to include them in your application they can apply too, but if your employer only agrees to sponsor you, your spouse and children cannot be included in your application.

The requirements and restrictions on Australian visas differ depending on the visa for which you are applying. So do the costs. You should discuss your individual situation with one of our experienced professionals.

Can I include my parent in my application?

To include your parent in a visa application you must be able to prove that they are dependent on you. Issues of 'dependence' with adult applicants are very complex in Australian migration law. Because of this we advise that you discuss this with one of our experienced advisors before proceeding any further with your application.

Can I include my child who is over 18 in my application?

To include your adult child in a visa application you must be able to prove that they are dependent on you. Issues of 'dependence' with adult applicants are very complex in Australian migration law. Because of this we advise that you discuss this with one of our experienced advisors before proceeding any further with your application.

Can I go to my local doctor to complete my medicals test for my Australian visa?

Not all visas to Australia require the applicant to complete a medical test.

However, almost all applicants who are required to complete a medical examination for an Australian visa must complete it only at an Australian government approved panel physician. There are a few very limited exceptions to this. In most cases you cannot go to your local doctor.

It is going to be difficult for me to obtain my police clearances. Can I avoid getting them?

The Australian government is very cautious about granting visas to people with a significant criminal history so must be assured that people meet the 'character requirement'.

Not all visas to Australia require a police clearance, but where police clearances are required you must obtain them or your visa could be refused. There are some extremely limited cases where the requirement to obtain a particular police clearance can be waived, but these circumstances are very rare.