Resident Return Visa - Requirements
To be eligible for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) you must be one of the following:
- an Australian permanent resident;
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled;
- A former Australian Citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.
A RRV may be granted for 5 years, 1 year or 3 months depending on the circumstances. Three of the most common options are detailed below.
5 year RRV:
To meet the requirements for a 5 year RRV you must have spent 2 of the last 5 years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen.
1 year RRV:
If you have not spent at least 2 years out of the last 5 in Australia then you may be eligible for the shorter validity RRV. To meet requirements for a 1 year RRV:
- You must not have been absent from Australia for a period of five continuous years or more since the grant of your most recent permanent visa or since you ceased being a citizen, unless there was a compelling reason for your absence;
- You must also be able to demonstrate that you have substantial ties to Australia.
3 month RRV:
To meet requirements for a 3 month RRV:
- You must have spent at least one day in the last five years lawfully in Australia.
- You must have spent less than two years in the last five years in Australia.
- You must have been a permanent resident or an Australian citizen for the entire period spent in Australia.
- You must show that there is a compelling and compassionate reason for your departure.
Other RRV options:
Please note there are more ways to apply for a Resident Return Visa. For more information please contact National Visas on +61 (0)3 9038 8622.