Are you a skilled worker planning to live and work in Australia? As Australia’s economic environment improves and starts to stabilize after the global financial crisis, Australian employers’ demand for overseas workers to fill skills vacancies has increased.
In answer to these increasing demands for skilled workers, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has recently streamlined its Australia Skilled Visa requirements and has given priority for its processing, aiming to halve the processing times from the current median of 22 calendar days. Likewise, changes have been made to the Australian skilled visa in order to make it easier to obtain and earlier to process.
As the government needs skilled workers to work in Australia, with Australian employers increasing salaries to entice would be workers to work for them, now is the time to apply for an Australian Skilled Visa.
For jobseekers who are not sponsored by any Australian employer or even does not have a job yet, the best visa you need to apply for in order to immigrate to Australia is the Australian Skilled Independent Visa.
Under the General Skilled Migration Program, your Skilled Independent visa eligibility is assessed under the following points:
satisfy the basic visa requirements namely:
- age: must be under 45 years of age on the day of making your application
- must demonstrate that you meet the English language threshold
- must nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) that is relevant to your skills and qualifications
- must obtain positive skills assessment before you lodge your application
- meet the recent work experience requirement that is having been employed in a skilled occupation for 12 months in the period of 24 months immediately before your Australian Visa application is made
- have met the Australian study requirement in the last six months
- must meet both the health and character requirements
- pass the points test with a pass mark of at least 120 points
The Visa Application Charge of AU$2575, or the equivalent thereof, must be paid at the time of application.
Payment must be in the currency accepted by the Australian High Commission, Embassy or Consulate where the application is being lodged.
If your Australian Skilled Migrant Visa application is approved, the visa allows you to live as permanent residents in Australia.
As an Australian permanent resident you can:
- live and work in Australia permanently ( even if the visa expired, your permanent resident status is not affected if you are in Australia )
- allowed for 5 year multiple entry that is you are allowed to travel to and enter Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted ( however, if you continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after your initial visa has expired, you must get a Resident Return Visa (RRV) )
study in Australia
- receive subsidized healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- have access to certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence
Latest posts by National Visas (see all)
- ETA: The easiest way to travel to Australia - April 24, 2014
- Skill shortages in Australia open opportunities for skilled migrants - April 21, 2014
- Abbott recognises migrant contributions at the 2014 Migration and Settlement Awards - April 14, 2014